Five questions with Tristan Tierney

After a stellar 2015-2016 year in McCallum’s theatre program, junior Tristan Tierney returns to the stage in the first-ever AISD summer musical, The Little Mermaid, which debuts tonight and aiming to make a big splash with a wider citywide audience. The Shield caught up with Tierney on the last night of rehearsal and asked him the following five questions.

Five Questions 1Q: What’s your role in The Little Mermaid?

A: I play CHEF LOUIS and PILOT, the captain of the ship that crashes. On Sunday, when Jackson Holtkamp can’t be there, I’m playing KING TRITON as well.

Q: What’s it like working with actors from all over AISD?

A: Before [this show] I was sheltered in the McCallum theatre department, and I only knew people from McCallum, so it’s exciting to meet all these new people that have the same interests.

Q: Do you find that people from other schools have different performing styles than we do at McCallum?

A: Definitely. LBJ is really focused on acting and less in musicals. McCallum is more focused on musicals. LBJ and Crocket are more focused on UIL, but McCallum not so much. Every person from every school brings something different because of their different training.

Q: How do you feel about working with directors from different schools?

A: It’s definitely eventful. It’s exciting. It’s nice working with other directors. I love Denning, but it’s also good to get exposed to other people as well.

Q: What has it been like doing two oceanic musicals in a row?

A: It’s fun! I guess I have a lot more boat knowledge than I ever thought I would in my life. It’s definitely different, because Titanic was very serious and dark. [The Little Mermaid] is very cartoonish and fun. I guess it’s similar because I’m both shows, boats sink.

You can see The Little Mermaid and its cast with many MacTheatre representatives and thespians from all over the city Thursday-Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for adults and can be purchased at the door or online at http://pac.fineartsaustin.org/Online.