And the winner is…

Leonardo_DiCaprio_2016
Poor Leo, without his Oscar. After all, his films have only made about $5,000,000,000 over his career.

The oscars, by the numbers

It’s finally awards season (although “finally” might be strong, considering the controversy that’s been swirling), and what better way to celebrate than to do an analysis of the biggest show of them all; the Oscars? I’ve collected some interesting statistics, trivia and factoids about both this year’s awards and the all-time records. This is the Oscars, by the numbers.

• 88: This is the 88th edition of the Academy Awards. The awards show began in 1929. Tickets were $5 and 270 people attended.
  • 37,260,000: The number of people that tuned into last year’s Academy Awards, which featured Neil Patrick Harris as host and Birdman as Best Picture winner.
  • 11: The most awards ever won by a single film, shared by Titanic, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and Ben-Hur. This year, The Revenant has been nominated for 12 awards.
  • 22: Most Oscars won by a single person. That person? Walt Disney, of course.
  • 6: Number of Oscars Leonardo DiCaprio has been nominated for (What’s Eating Gilbert GrapeThe AviatorBlood DiamondThe Wolf of Wall Street (twice), and The Revenant).
  • 8: The number of films nominated for Best Picture this year. In 2009, the Academy changed the limit for Best Picture nominations from 5 to 10.
  • $5,166,724: The amount of money that Room, the smallest film to be nominated for Best Picture, has grossed.
  • $2,028,057,964 (and counting): The amount of money that Star Wars: The Force Awakens has grossed.  Force Awakens was nominated for 5 awards, all of which were either sound or technical categories.