Explore elective possibilities

by Kendra Murphy, Mara Vandegrift, and Seren Villwock

Students prepare for next year at the elective fair

McCallum has an award winning wrestling team. Contact coach Ray Amaro (ramaro@austinisd.org) for more information about joining the team.
McCallum has an award winning wrestling team. Contact coach Ray Amaro ([email protected]) for more information about joining the team.
Tennis players of all levels can join the McCallum tennis team. There is an 8th period tennis class and practice after school.
Students walked around the gym and looked at different booths during the fair as they considered which electives they want to join next school year.

Knights of Steel is McCallum's steel drum band, directed by Matt Ehlers. "[Students can] let musical interests shine in a relaxed environment," said junior Miguel Minick.
Knights of Steel is McCallum’s steel drum band, directed by Matt Ehlers. “[Students can] let musical interests shine in a relaxed environment,” said junior Miguel Minick.
"Statistics teaches you how math applies to real-life," senior Aubrey Foose said. "[Richard] Cowles makes it really enjoyable, and it's more personalized for each student."
“Statistics teaches you how math applies to real-life,” senior Aubrey Foose said. “[Richard] Cowles makes it really enjoyable, and it’s more personalized for each student.”

The sports medicine class is a year-long course that allows students to help with the athletic department while they learn about health and safety. "We talk about anatomy, starting from the toes and going up, and the injuries that go along with it," sophomore Xanthe Hammer said.
The sports medicine class is a year-long course that allows students to help with the athletic department while they learn about health and safety. “We talk about anatomy, starting from the toes and going up, and the injuries that go along with it,” sophomore Xanthe Hammer said.
Songwriting is an English elective. "I teach it like an art class," teacher Tom Watterson said. "I can't teach how to write a song, but I can give the paint brushes and say, 'go create.' It's a really fun class. It's a hands-on workshop endeavor for all of us. We have a concert at the end of the year and our songs are played on the radio. You can get a grade for studying the Beatles."
Songwriting is an English elective. “I teach it like an art class,” teacher Tom Watterson said. “I can’t teach how to write a song, but I can give the paint brushes and say, ‘go create.’ It’s a really fun class. It’s a hands-on workshop endeavor for all of us. We have a concert at the end of the year and our songs are played on the radio. You can get a grade for studying the Beatles.”
Have fun, make friends, and learn what it means to work hard as part of a team in girls softball.
History Through Film is a discussion-based social studies elective. "We watch movies in pieces and discuss them from a historical perspective," teacher Oakley Barber said. "Students keep a film journal throughout the year." One movie the class watches is "the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," focusing on its portrayal of the West.
History Through Film is a discussion-based social studies elective. “We watch movies in pieces and discuss them from a historical perspective,” teacher Oakley Barber said. “Students keep a film journal throughout the year.” One movie the class watches is “the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” focusing on its portrayal of the West.
Ready, Set, Teach gives students opportunities in mentoring and helping children be successful in school and life. Students will serve as aides and mentors in preschool and elementary classrooms. They will be able to interact with children one-on-one, and in small and large groups.
Radio Broadcast is a unique class that gives students the experience of participating in the MAC radio station, at macradioaustin.com. "We're the only high school that has it," senior Damon Meredith said. "We're the originators of the curriculum for the state of Texas."
Radio Broadcast is a unique class that gives students the experience of participating in the MAC radio station, at macradioaustin.com. “We’re the only high school that has it,” senior Damon Meredith said. “We’re the originators of the curriculum for the state of Texas.”
Ceramics is one art elective available to students who have completed the Art 1 course. Students explore a new media as they learn to throw pots and more.
The photography course helps students develop the technique and skills to take great photos. "In class, we'll have a Photoshop tutorial, or work to take pictures," sophomore Sierra Moore said. "Then we'll do presentations and give reviews to the class."
The photography course helps students develop the technique and skills to take great photos. “In class, we’ll have a Photoshop tutorial, or work to take pictures,” sophomore Sierra Moore said. “Then we’ll do presentations and give reviews to the class.”
Nutrition and Wellness, taught by Grace Odu, explores various aspects of nutrition and the human body.
Staffers Natalie Murphy, Hegefeld, and Mara Vandegrift work at the elective fair.
"More than anything, musical theater is a family and community unlike any other fine art," junior Sage Stoakley said. "Students can participate in wonderful shows, on stage or backstage, and can explore an art form. We want you to come join and we will love you."
“More than anything, musical theater is a family and community unlike any other fine art,” junior Sage Stoakley said. “Students can participate in wonderful shows, on stage or backstage, and can explore an art form. We want you to come join and we will love you.”
World Languages available at McCallum are Spanish, French, Latin, and Japanese.
Jewelry making is an art elective available to students who have taken the Art 1 class. Students learn to create their own jewelry.
Guitar players of any level can join McCallum's nationally recognized guitar program.
Guitar players of any level can join McCallum’s nationally recognized guitar program.
Tim Bjerke teaches Graphic Design and Illustration, and students will have the opportunity to collaborate with other students and work on special projects. This class teaches Adobe Illustrator, and how to create digital portfolios, logos and logotypes, and posters and graphic art. This is a year long elective course, only available to students who have already taken DIM. Talk to Mr. Bjerke in room 153 for more information.
Contact coach Lorie Campbell to find out how you can get involved in the Mac girls basketball team.
Study the digestive system in Food Science.
"It's a lot of fun, we study film through the ages. Students don't have to do any homework, and they get to see me go crazy over Hitchcock every semester." -Teacher Flor Mota
“It’s a lot of fun, we study film through the ages. Students don’t have to do any homework, and they get to see me go crazy over Hitchcock every semester.” -Teacher Flor Mota
Forensic Science is a fourth science option for seniors. "Instead of taking a paper final, you solve a mock crime scene," senior Denique Williams.
Forensic Science is a fourth science option for seniors. “Instead of taking a paper final, you solve a mock crime scene,” senior Denique Williams.
Entrepreneurship opens students to the possibility of careers in business.
"It's for people who like hands on projects and design," said junior Raj Patel. "We have in class competitions with our structures, and we also do more life-like challenges in the senior class. It's a really fun class."
“It’s for people who like hands on projects and design,” said junior Raj Patel. “We have in class competitions with our structures, and we also do more life-like challenges in the senior class. It’s a really fun class.”
Geology and Earth and Space sciences are 4th option science classes that focus on the planet on which we live.
McCallum dance is open to students in the fine arts academy as well as other students. It gives opportunities to learn new techniques and perform in shows as well as other fun things.
Excalibur is McCallum's student literary magazine. "It's completely student-run, from the creation to the production," said senior Airieka Rinehart. "My favorite thing is the teamwork, because we're students but we're making a magazine."
Excalibur is McCallum’s student literary magazine. “It’s completely student-run, from the creation to the production,” said senior Airieka Rinehart. “My favorite thing is the teamwork, because we’re students but we’re making a magazine.”
"[My favorite thing is] how close we are to each other,"  senior Bella Temple said. "As you get farther into the season, everyone is like a family."
“[My favorite thing is] how close we are to each other,” senior Bella Temple said. “As you get farther into the season, everyone is like a family.”
"It's for students who love making movies, are hardworking, are good team players, or anyone who is interested," junior Abbey Perez said.
“It’s for students who love making movies, are hardworking, are good team players, or anyone who is interested,” junior Abbey Perez said.
There are many levels of choir open to both girl and boy vocal majors and others who love singing. The choir director is Helen Miers.
Child Development follows development from conception to adolescence. Students learn principles and procedures for promoting physical, emotional, social and intellectual development of children.
Career Preparation is an elective course for juniors and seniors who are interested in exploring the world of work. The class introduces aspects of becoming successful in a career including employer/employee expectations, job interview techniques, communication skills, financial and budgeting activities and human relation guidelines.
In Business Information Management, students will learn how to use a computer in a business setting. The course teaches how to use Microsoft Suite, as well as how to use the internet for research and how to analyze and solve business problems. Students can improve their study skills using a computer, learn how to use the Internet for research, and save money by learning how to troubleshoot minor computer problems.
AVID, or Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a class that helps students develop the skills needed to succeed in high school and college. "The guidance has been really important this year," senior Leslie Garcia said. "AVID helps you prioritize so scholarship applications get in sooner and are better because of it."
AVID, or Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a class that helps students develop the skills needed to succeed in high school and college. “The guidance has been really important this year,” senior Leslie Garcia said. “AVID helps you prioritize so scholarship applications get in sooner and are better because of it.”
Astronomy, taught by Clint Reck, explores the stars and other celestial bodies.
Painting, printmaking, sculpture and photography are four art electives offered at McCallum. Join these electives and get creative!
Learn about marine life in Aquatic Science. "It's a really easy and fun class," teacher Amy Bujacz said. "We learn aquarium upkeep, fish , squid, and shark dissection. Now we're watching shark week."
Learn about marine life in Aquatic Science. “It’s a really easy and fun class,” teacher Amy Bujacz said. “We learn aquarium upkeep, fish , squid, and shark dissection. Now we’re watching shark week.”
Animation and Video Game Design are two of McCallum's digital media electives. In animation, students learn digital techniques, animate movement, learn how to animate 2D characters for video games and much more. In Video Game Design, students make 2D and 3D games and learn game programming.
Animation and Video Game Design are two of McCallum’s digital media electives. In animation, students learn digital techniques, animate movement, learn how to animate 2D characters for video games and much more. In Video Game Design, students make 2D and 3D games and learn game programming.
Students learn new things about the human body in Anatomy. "There's a muscle in your mouth called the bucinator," senior Madison Sweeney said.
Students learn new things about the human body in Anatomy. “The weirdest thing I’ve learned is that there’s a muscle in your mouth called the bucinator,” senior Madison Sweeney said.