Back to Article
Back to Article

Right where he’s supposed to be

In the aftermath of tragedy, the Mac community rallies to find a dog a forever home. Photo by Sarah Slaten.

Sarah Slaten

Sarah Slaten

Sarah Slaten

Right where he’s supposed to be

January 4, 2020

Folger and Ard still try to be a part of Gus’s life by helping out McGahon as often as they can. When he got in trouble for digging in the trash, all three of them brainstormed ways to keep him out of the garbage.

It felt like my last act of service for Sawyer. She was full of love and light, just an amazing human being, and she brought all kinds of people around her.”

— Mickey Folger

“I think that Deirdre has the just-right personality for Gus,” Folger said. “She’s very loving, and she’s also whimsical and quirky, which is the kind of personality that Sawyer and I both have and appreciate.”

The whole process of finding Gus a home was incredibly important to her and Neil, not just because of the love they have for him.

“It felt like my last act of service for Sawyer,” Folger said. “She was full of love and light, just an amazing human being, and she brought all kinds of people around her.”

Now, with McGahon, Folger is confident that she made the right decision for Gus.

“This dog just embodies so much love, and he is so loved,” Folger said. “I think that any other place would be a mistake. I think he’s right where he’s supposed to be, and I think [Smith] would feel the same way.”