High Hopes

When not driving her coach crazy, senior brings calm confidence to her team

High+Hopes

The Shield: When did you start playing basketball and why?
Cordeja Hopes: I started playing when I was about 10, and I guess because I always saw my brothers playing, so I guess I just started to do it.
TS: How did your brothers help you learn your basketball skills?
CH: When I was little, they helped me by making me dribble the ball without looking down, and they would also make me shoot from inside the paint.
TS: What teams have you been on while at McCallum?
CH: My freshman year, I played on freshman but also on JV. If freshman only had one game that week, I would end up playing both.
TS: What has being a captain this year been like?
CH: Being captain this year, some of my jobs are to make sure that everyone has all their stuff and make sure that everyone is accountable for their actions. I like it a lot.
TS: What did you learn from the people who were captains last year?

Hopes catches a rebound for the Knights during the first quarter of the game. Photo by Madison Olsen.

CH: They were always super positive, which definitely affected how I lead the team and makes me want to help the underclassmen with whatever they need.
TS: How has the varsity changed over the years that you have played?
CH: This year we are more on top of it. We just go out there and do what we need to do. We know how each other play more this year, so I think we are just way more together.
TS: What team do you think will be your hardest game this season?
CH: Austin High for sure. We just need to slow down and not try to play at the same speed as them. We need to keep the pace slow and just do what we can.
TS: How do you want to remember your last season at McCallum?
CH: I want to remember that I went out there, left my heart on the court and played the best season that I could with my girls.

Forward Cordeja Hopes boxes out Taylor player Elysia Robles during McCallum’s 54-22 home loss to the Ducks on December 5th. Photo by Madison Olsen.

TS: What do you think you will miss most about basketball?
CH: I don’t know, I guess just going places with my team and the bus rides. We just have so much fun and get on Coach’s nerves. One time Coach Campbell was trying to be super serious, and she was saying, “I’m not crazy; I know what I’m talking about,” and I just looked at her and was like, “Are you sure you aren’t crazy?” I guess just little stuff like that.
TS: How do you prepare for a game?
CH: We always give each other pep talks and then just warm-up and shoot around.
TS: What is some advice that you give to a freshman basketball players that looks up to you as a varsity player?
CH: Some of them already look up to me, like they told me that they do.
TS: How did that make you feel?
CH: It felt so good to hear that. I guess I just want to prove to them that if I can do it, so can they.
TS: So, what would you tell them?
CH: I think I would just tell them to stay calm and have patience. When you do that, that’s when everything comes.