Not all victories are on the scoreboard

Despite 2-0 home loss to Leander, Martin pleased with team's play

Yoni Southwick pushes the ball past two Leander defenders during tonight's 2-0 varsity loss to the Lions tonight at House Park. Photo by J. R. Cardenas.

J. R. Cardenas

Even before McCallum’s Jan. 9 game against Leander started, the varsity boys soccer team had already won.

It wasn’t a quantifiable victory but rather qualitative. Coach Martin would say after the game that the improved attitude and effort of his team was palpable.

Coach Nick Martin surveys the pitch. After the game, Martin praised his entire team for their improved effort. Photo by J. R. Cardenas.

Because the game was a non-district, the moral victory was at least as significant a the team’s 2-0 loss on the scoreboard.

The game was the perfect opportunity for both squads to get some much needed game experience and build team chemistry.

As the game progressed, both offenses found their footing by pushing the ball down the field several times before approaching the 20-minute mark of the first half.

Leander scored the first goal of the game with about 17 minutes left in the first half. The Knights continued their attack as the half came to a close, but they could not capitalize on their opportunities. Unfortunately for the home team, the visiting Lions got an unexpected goal right before halftime with about a minute left, sending the knights to halftime down 2-0.

During halftime, the boys held their spirits high even though the game temperatures were increasingly low.

The team came out swinging on offense to start the chilly second half. The Knights took shot after shot but just could not find the back of the net.

The Knights defense stiffened and held the Lions scoreless for the rest of the game, causing havoc to the Lions offence whenever a Leander player tried to move the ball up the field.

Ezekiel Sengiyunva hydrates during a break in the action. Photo by J. R. Cardenas.

Despite the outcome, Coach Martin saw plenty of positive signs that his Knights have made tremendous strides in coming together as a team that will be ready for the district challenges that lay ahead.

The Knights hope to reverse their fortunes when they face Lehman tonight at Nelson.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Not all victories are on the scoreboard”

1. Wyeth Purkiss on January 19th, 2018 2:15 pm

Love that the article isn’t necessarily about winning, but how when a team losses, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything negative, you can build off your mistakes and continue to try to be successful as possible. Would have liked to have more details about the positive signs the coach saw from the game, and what they are going to work on based off that. The story perspective was very good, and not about winning but what you can take from a regular loss.

[Reply]

2. Graydon on January 19th, 2018 2:39 pm

The fact that the article isn’t just about how a team won the game is nice. I think that the articles about the coaches critiquing their team provides excellent insight to how the team plays and also provides information about the game (like who scored when).

[Reply]

• Not all victories are on the scoreboard

Blogs

Former Knights reveling in France’s World Cup run

Sports

A Pearl in the pool

Sports

You Can Bet On It

Sports

Down and derby

Sports

Texas Rowing Center wins Central Youth team title

Sports

Medina Valley edges Mac in bizarre bi-district game

Photo Galleries

Macjournalism sports photo porfolio places in Top Program competition

Sports

VIDEO: Can you help a brother out?

Sports

Varsity baseball knocks off top rivals this week

Sports

Running back

Not all victories are on the scoreboard