A tea party for all

Princess posse raises money for MacTheatre, creates Disney experience for kids

Photos by Jasmine Barrera, Jazzabelle Davishines and Katie Nalle.

Queen Elsa (sophomore Maryanna Tollemache) and Princess Anna (sophomore Lilah Guaragna) belt out “For The First Time In Forever” from Disney’s ‘Frozen’ during Saturday’s Princess. The event functioned as a fundraiser for MacTheatre. “I think the event went really well!” said Maryanna Tollemache, “We raised up money for our theatre program in a way that while also benefitting us, benefit the kids in our community by letting them see their favorite princes and princesses! It affected MacTheatre as we have more funds that will help us produce even higher quality shows!” The pair performed along with many other MacTheatre students, all dressed-up as Disney princesses and princes.

Singing, kids and tea, lots of tea. McCallum’s theatre program held their annual booster club fundraiser, Princess Tea Party, on October 28. The event invited kids and Disney lovers to come to the cafeteria and see MacTheatre students as Disney prince and princesses. These characters sang songs and interacted with the audience during the show while the attendees were served food and, of course, tea.

To open the show, Freshmen Helena Laing and Terrell Hall toured the cafeteria, greeting children and parents as Tiana and Naveen from Disney’s “The Princess and The Frog.”

“There was a lot of little kids [at Princess Tea Party],” Hall said “You could tell seeing their favorite princes and princesses really made their day.”

All of the Disney prince and princesses were represented during the tea party, including the newest one, Moana, played by Sophomore Abigail Lerma.

“I wish I could have auditioned for [Princess Tea Party] in the past but there wasn’t really a role for me,” Lerma said, “When Moana came out I was like ‘Oh I can be that’. You could tell the kids were really happy to see the ‘new’ princess perform.”

Peter Pan (senior Tryston Davis) and Wendy Darling (junior Sophia Salo) gather the kids mid-show for a game of follow the leader around the cafeteria. During the Princess Tea Party fundraiser parents and young kids came to see their favorite Disney characters perform and to drink tea and snacks. The event served as a fundraiser for MacTheatre, the much-needed proceeds from the Tea Party will help the theatre department in producing even higher quality shows. Photo by Katie Nalle.

Many of the children in attendance were dressed up as their favorite Disney character and participated right alongside the McCallum Theatre students. “It was really nice seeing all the little kids in their costumes,” said freshman waiter Emma Lindsey. “They were all smiling and so excited to see all the princesses.”

McCallum theatre’s troupe officers were in charge of putting together the event, planning food, and creating a princess-ready set up for the event. Actors were invited to audition in front of the officers for roles as princes or princesses.

“It was very detailed,” senior officer Sarah Kay Stevens said. “We did a lot of pre-planning and coordinating with parents. We had to audition actors, find dresses, coordinate volunteers, and design the cafeteria.”

Sophomore Julia Blackmon, who played Rapunzel, said she usually gets nervous before she performs but seeing the little kids react when she came on stage calmed her nerves.

“It’s such a good experience,” says sophomore Julia Blackmon. “I loved feeling like a princess for a day.”

Rapunzel (sophomore Julia Blackmon) and Flynn Rider (sophomore Duval Bingham) perform “At Last I See The Light” from Disney’s ‘Tangled’ during the MACtheater Princess Tea Party on Saturday. Kids were invited to come and watch performances from their favorite princes and princesses with the proceeds benefiting MacTheatre. This was the third annual Princess Tea Party fundraiser. Photo by Katie Nalle.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “A tea party for all”

1. J. Mariana on January 19th, 2018 2:51 pm

As a freshman I don’t know a lot about McCallum’s traditions or annual parties or events they hold. The idea of putting on a tea party for little kids with their favorite princesses and princes in brilliant! This story gives some insight to the actors and it is really, really cool!

[Reply]

2. Mia Terminella on January 23rd, 2018 11:41 am

This is my second year experiencing princess tea party and I can confidently say that it keeps getting better every year. As the article says, the children really enjoy the experience and it is a great idea. It’s a good opportunity for actors who want to gain more experience and have a good time.

[Reply]

3. Rowan Lerman on January 23rd, 2018 12:24 pm

I think it’s heart warming to see fellow mac students either come to watch or act in it, it seems like such a minor thing for them but when I was elementary school I would’ve been excited for the tea party for weeks.

[Reply]

4. Kristen T. on January 23rd, 2018 12:24 pm

I wish I could have been there, that looks like so much fun! This is one of my favorite stories on here- such a great idea. I’m sure the kids and parents who attending had a lot of fun seeing their favorite Disney characters live. I’ll be sure to make it next year.

[Reply]

5. Katie on February 26th, 2018 2:03 pm

This was so much fun and so helpful for the theater program! It was really heartwarming to see all of the kids so excited about seeing their favorite Disney characters. I hope to go again next year!

[Reply]

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Vargas makes history and major impact

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Music to Our Ears

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Tierney headed home to New York

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Artistically Speaking: Aubrey Brown

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Breakfast Bards

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

West Side Story wins two GAHSMTA awards

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Knights shine at SXSW

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Artistically Speaking: Aly Candelas

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

West Side Story nabs 8 GAHSMTA nominations

• A tea party for all

Entertainment

Mac Guitar Ensemble does SoCal

A tea party for all