Spring Break in ATX

Swimming

2730267908_0de24f50a1_b
Austinites take a refreshing dip in The Green Belt. Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.

Looking to escape the heat and the chaos of South By but don’t want to endure the hoards of people with tourist guides flocking to Barton Springs? Check out these more secluded swimming spots to swim and get back to nature. There’s plenty of hidden gems right around the corner from downtown.
The Green Belt: located right by Barton Springs, this little strip of Barton Creek offers prime swimming locations, great hiking, is dog friendly, and is, most importantly, free. Bring a blanket and some snacks and have a picnic with your friends by the water.
Hamilton Pool: This South Austin gem is definitely worth the 45 minute drive. This breathtaking natural swimming hole features an overhanging rock formation and a spectacular waterfall. Located nearby is the equally beautiful Reimer Ranch Park which offers hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking. If you’re truly looking for an escape, this is the place for you.
Lady Bird Lake: We wouldn’t recommend taking a dip in the river due to pollution, but there are some activities you can still participate in on or by the lake. There’s kayaking, canoeing, or, if you’re up for a challenge, paddle boarding.

Free SXSW Shows

Don’t have a costly SXSW wristband? Not to worry, there are still plenty of opportunities for you to participate in the festivities. Venues like The Mohawk, Hotel Vegas, and The Pearl St. Co-Op will be hosting free shows and unofficial parties throughout the entire week. Although you aren’t quite as likely to see any big names without throwing down some serious cash, free shows are a great way to discover new, lesser-known bands. Keep your eye out for pop-ups on street corners around town, as even well-known artists often use SXSW as an opportunity to hold intimate, secret shows in unexpected locations to accommodate fans. Never underestimate the surprises that SXSW offers. Additionally, free shows are usually all-ages, allowing you to escape the dreaded “21+ only” curse of most SXSW shows. Check out local online publications like The Austin Chronicle, Do512 and Sonicvault for day-by-day lists of all the free shows going on.

Food Trucks

3237785474_b80ea5072e_b
Famed local dessert truck, Hey Cupcake! Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.

Austin is renowned for our ever-growing food truck community with flavors from all around the world. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack amidst the chaos of downtown during SXSW or just looking to discover new areas while grabbing a bite around town, there are options for everyone. If you find yourself looking for great, low cost food with endless choices for all of your friends’ specific tastes, we suggest checking out these food truck parks during the break.
The Midway Food Park: Located in far South Austin off of Capital of Texas Highway, The Midway is home to Austin classics such as Cafe Ybor and The Dock & Roll Diner, who are famous for their scrumptious lobster rolls.
South First Food Court: This South Austin trailer park is worth the visit just to eat a decked out frozen banana from Banancharchy. This park is also the home of Crepes Up Delicious and Gravy, a little biscuits and gravy joint. The court also holds an ever-reliable Torchy’s Tacos truck.
East 6th St.: This location is ideal for those of you looking for something to eat during South By. Food trucks like Baton Creole, Halal Time, and Savor de Moi are all located downtown and east of I-35.

Your Sunny Spring Break Playlist!