Mac survives potential Alamo, outlasts Crockett

Photo by Adrian Peña.
Deron Gage’s 90-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run broke a 14-all tie for good. Photo by Adrian Peña.

McCallum (7-1, 3-1) escaped Burger Stadium with a 28-14 victory over Crockett in a game that was much closer than anyone expected it would be.

Crockett (0-7, 0-3) returned a fumble for the game’s opening score and executed a long drive for a touchdown that tied the game at 14. The score was still tied heading into the fourth quarter. The Cougars advanced to the Mac 10-yard line, but the defense held and turned the ball over on downs.

Deron Gage then broke the tie with a 90-yard touchdown run, and Mac never looked back from there.

Andre Blakemore rushed for his third touchdown of the game to make it a 28-14 final score.

“We didn’t play very well,” head coach Charles Taylor said after the game. “They tried to run the clock on us and keep the ball out of our hands. We came out a little flat. Our kids need to understand that you have to come out and execute no matter what the opponent looks like and play hard.”

The Knights had a bye last weekend. They face the Vikings of Lanier (1-6, 0-4), 7:30 p.m. this Friday at House Park.

Photos by Diego Gutierrez, Gregory James, Tony Lavorgna, Madison Olsen and Adrian Peña.