Kieler enters a new stage in her career

Technical theatre department has a new teacher running the show

Laura Kieler has always had McCallum and the Fine Arts Academy in the back of her mind as a potential place to work. It wasn’t until recently, however, that those thoughts became a reality.

Photo provided by Laura Kieler.
Photo provided by Laura Kieler.

“McCallum always pushes the envelope in the type of shows they chose to do, and that was something that I really wanted to be able to do,” Kieler said. “So when this job opened up last year, I wanted to apply.”

Starting at a new school as a teacher is hard, and it takes lots of adjusting. Kieler has faced a wide variety of difficulties from trying to figure out the copy machine to learning where everything belongs in the MAC.

“Every theater always has quirks, and slowly but surely I am starting to discover plenty of them and things that don’t work or are wired weird or just strange places things live,” Kieler said. “It’s pretty crazy, but I feel like a lot of students are well versed in different areas. I also try to keep reminding myself where things are by constantly opening doors and looking in.”

Kieler started doing tech theatre in high school and then worked in some theatre companies in Chicago which is where she grew up. She was unsure about teaching but then spent a year in an Americorps.

“I worked in the west and south sides of Chicago in schools and in the community doing a lot of service and planning services events, and it was through that time that I realized that I enjoyed working with students and I wanted to combine my love of theatre with working with young people,” Kieler said.

After finishing her theatre education degree at the University of Texas, she spent five years teaching at other schools in places like Round Rock and the Woodlands before coming to McCallum this year.

“I have to say this campus is probably one of the friendliest; it is very welcoming. Both student and teacher wise it has been incredible and very much a wonderful experience starting off here,” Kieler said. “It just seems like a different place and people are much quirkier here: it’s nice.”

Like any other teacher, Kieler has a favorite part of her subject. She likes doing lighting and set design for shows and finds both tasks have their own perks.

“I really like lighting. It’s not really a tangible art form, but I think that is part of the joy in doing it. It’s an experiential thing,” Kieler said. “Set design is taking an empty stage and creating a world based on a story you’re trying to tell. We are telling the story through visuals which I think is really exciting. Then you take it all down and then move on to the next one, which is a nice lesson in beginnings and endings and the whole process.”

Kieler is excited for the upcoming productions at McCallum and seeing what the whole process and experience will be like. There are a few things, however, that concern her.

“I think every show is its own challenge so I don’t know if it’ll be more or less challenging but it’ll just be different no matter what,” Kieler said. “It’ll be a different kind of challenge learning what sort of style Denning is and learning the capabilities of the students and things we need to work on, I think all of that is the biggest challenge currently,” Kieler said.

Coming to a new school and new theater can be challenging for a new teacher to adjust to, but Kieler feels she can handle it.

“In terms of production, I think I am ready for any challenge they throw at me. The stage is massive though so making sure things aren’t looking tiny on that big stage is also something that’s in the back of my head.”

Kieler is excited about her future at McCallum and is figuring out McCallum theatre’s system one step at a time.

“The program here is established and coming in here being new is really just catching up to speed to everything that has been done and continuing the good work that has been done before me.”

The fall musical, Cyrano, continues its run tonight through Sunday with evening shows at 7 p.m. tonight, Friday and Saturday, plus a final Sunday matinee performance at 2 p.m.