Vegan? Vegan.

School lunch program discriminating against Vegans?

What is a Vegan? And how is it different from a Vegetarian? The funny part is, most people don’t know exactly what being a Vegan is. For starters it’s not a diet. Being a Vegan is a lifestyle choice, that has to be well maintained on a daily basis. “People are given the choice every day to have the lifestyle they want.” says junior Skye Gill, “I chose to become Vegan because I wanted to become healthier and to challenge myself.”

Another misconception people have is that being Vegan is too hard to maintain. “It’s not hard, but it is difficult to go out to eat the majority of times.” Freshman Ashlyn Higgs said.

With more students opting for vegan lifestyles every day, schools have been slow to accommodate this choice. After all, Veganism is not just a new kind of fad that just materialized overnight; it has been around since 1944. Yeah, and even in 2016 we still don’t have a separate option for the Vegans of schools. Ms.Higgs also says “Schools should definitely have a vegan option, this way I wouldn’t have to bring my lunch everyday, as well as other people in this school who eat vegan.” When asked what should the school serve as the vegan substitute, Skye Gill answered with “there’s plenty of types of beans to serve as well as vegan sausage, and plenty of greens.”

Veganism proves to have visible health benefits for the body. Along with exercise on a regular basis, and a steady vegan diet, it’s been shown that the body has positive results. As seen in living proof through Skye Gill, his body fat has gone down to all time lows, his facial oil is nearly nonexistent, and his mental sharpness is higher than ever.

All in all, veganism is a positive life style that has proven positive for most people who try it, and students feel like the schools should honor their lifestyle choices and support them.