Dance majors unleash final show

Senior dance majorsAs seniors wind down their final year at McCallum, fine arts students are busy with one final project: the capstone project.

“A capstone is a project assembled by the graduating seniors as a farewell to their specific program and the school,” senior dance major Meg Willimont. “It shows what we’ve learned at our time here at McCallum and how we’ve grown.”

The dance major staged the first of the capstone projects for this year when they performed Unleashed, a student-directed dance concert, on May 6-7.

There were many moments that the audience savored during the show. Each senior took the stage for a solo. Perhaps the loudest crowd response came during “The Battle of the Beyhive,” a dance number set to a Beyonce medley and choreographed by Amber Ford and Lexi Staes.

The senior dance majors said that process of was beneficial because it offered valuabe experience, closure and a chance to take one final bow with the people with whom you’ve spent the past four years.

“It’s a goodbye from the seniors as well as a goodbye to the seniors,” Willimont said. “It’s really sentimental for everyone. I actually made a slideshow for the concert that’s a montage of all the memories our class has had here at Mac. It also showcases our seniors with pictures of us as babies, our head shots and dance pictures.”

The show closed with a senior finale, also entitled “Unleashed,” which brought the audience to its feet. The emotional performance ended with a senior embrace, signifying the last time they will perform as MAC dance majors before being “unleashed” into the world beyond high school.