Striking out on their own

The team strikes a pose between practice games at their home alley, the Dart Bowl on Grover Avenue across from the practice fields. Photo by Sydney Amell.

The Bowling Knights captured their third straight victory of the season by extinguishing the Round Rock Dragons, 21-8, on Friday at Mel’s Lone Star Lanes in Georgetown.

“We all should be proud of the progress these student-athletes have achieved in this short amount of time,” Coach Randy Cannon said. “From a group of kids in a P.E. class to competitive student athletes in a few short months makes a good storyline.”

The Knights were led in the opening two games by juniors Oliver Cline and Olivia Foletta and freshman Max Cioci. In the first game, Foletta rolled her personal best of 179. In the second game, Cioci rolled his highest game of the season at 209 with Kline not far behind at 197.  Gordon Bolton rolled a 168 while Foletta bowled a 136 and Anthony Bourda a 100. The team managed to win a close game with several clutch shots in the ninth and tenth frames.

In the Baker round (where the bowlers alternate frames in a single alternate-shot game), the Knights won two of three. Cline rolled a last-ball strike in the 10th frame to seal the first Baker win, and the Knights closed the match by winning the final Baker game with a season high collaborative game of 211.

With the victory, the Knights pulled even on the year and into a fourth-place tie in the standings. The top four league teams qualify for the region tournament. The next teams faces a tough test in its next match as they square off against second-place Stony Point at 5:15 p.m. next Friday (Feb. 12) at Mel’s Lone Star lanes in Georgetown.

Here are the current district standings.
Varsity Boys Win Loss Points
Georgetown 6 0 145.5
Stony Point 5 1 130
Vista Ridge 4 2 110
East View 3 3 88
McCallum 3 3 79
CO-OP 2 4 67
Leander 1 5 36.5
Round Rock 0 6 40

Photos by Sydney Amell and Lybertiana Kline.