Toys in motion

new star warsStormtrooper

Almost everyone knows about the popular movie franchise Toy Story. But not many kids today actually have the specific toys from the late 1980s and early 1990s that are featured in the film.

The fear that those toys had in the movie has come true: they are being replaced.

Instead of the traditional toys, many people now just give gift-cards or the toy of the year a Hoverboard. Many things have changed since our parents were our age, and toys are not an exception. Barbie dolls have changed size, design and now come with more accessories. The roller racer has now become the Hoverboard.

“A toy is anything that involves something that you can manipulate that involves using your imagination,” said Jayson Corbett, the father of freshman Finn Corbett. “The first toy I got was at Christmas in 1972. I was 1 month old. A Hot Wheels car, one that I still have. ”

Modern toys are a far cry from the simple toys of our parents’ time. Nowadays at Christmas and birthdays a new phone, tablet or any other form of technology is the more frequent gift. In general only kids younger than 10 still receive classic toys. Because of this trend, parents often spend more money. The latest craze, a Hoverboard, costs an average of $400. While in the 70s a new gaming system cost half of that at $200.

“Honestly. I don’t know what the most expensive toy I ever received was.” Corbett said. “Maybe an Atari video game system? Does that count? Or a Millennium Falcon. Maybe $30 back in the day. The highest expectation I remember having was owning the coolest toys, the hard-to-find ones, the ones all the ‘cool kids’ wanted.”

Over the years, many things have changed, not just the toys but also the technology that makes and is now replacing them. Kids want what is around them, what they see and hear about. Not only have toys themselves changed, but also kids expectations.

“Kids want what is advertised,” Corbett said, “what they see on TV or what their friends have. That has never changed. Kids are adjusting for sure. My parents said the same about my generation.

What has changed” Corbett said “is the quality of the toys produced. “Some toys get better. The packaging is prettier, but obviously costs more to produce, which causes the quality of the toy to go down. Technology has made many toys better obviously. But decreases imagination in my opinion. For example, in 1977 Star Wars figures bent at the hips and shoulders. And the head turned. Now they have around 34 points of articulation and come with five weapons instead of maybe one.”

According to a poll of 500 parents and grandparents, done by the American Association of Retired Persons, many kids should stop trick-or-treating by the age of 12. By the time students stop trick-or-treating they stop receiving toys. Freshman Amanda Lambert and her brothers are a perfect examples of this phenomenon.

“My two brothers got a jacket and a water bottle because they both like to hike” Lambert said. “For a gift, I got some new clothes from the thrift store. The oldest toy I remember was a Beanie Baby, the little stuffed animal things. I don’t think I have them any more though; maybe a little cat one that was pretty cute, but I don’t have much of my old stuff any more. I got rid of it.”