Students share Thanksgiving traditions

CORnucopiaOn Thanksgiving, junior Charlie Beck and his family wake to watch the sunrise and eat pumpkin pie.

“My family does it every year,” Beck said. “It’s special to us, and unique.”

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade is held in New York City every Thanksgiving and each year there are bigger floats than the year before.

“Every Thanksgiving my family sits around the TV to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade,” sophomore Eliza Serra said. “We’ve done it ever since I can remember.”

For some, the most important tradition of all is food. Thanksgiving brings families together from all over the country to eat amazing food and share stories.

“Every Thanksgiving, my grandpa flies down to Austin all the way from Canada to be with our family,” junior Bayleigh Walker said. “I help him make his famous mashed potatoes and carrots. They’re the best. Thanksgiving would not be the same without Gramps.”

Another Thanksgiving tradition involves giving back to the community. Many people volunteer at homeless shelters, soup kitchens and animal shelters too.

“My mom and I go down to the homeless shelter on Thanksgiving and hand out sandwiches that we made the night before,” junior Eliza Dahmen said. “Not everyone has the comforts of a big home-cooked meal on Thanksgiving, so it feels good to help out.”