Varsity earns crucial spring-break sweep of SFA

Knights put up a crooked number in eighth inning to win, 7-2, in extra-innings

Mason Bryant had an effective outing in Game 1 of the series against Austin High, pitching 4 2/3 innings and striking out 11. McCallum won Game 1 of two-game series, 8-2. Photo by Gregory James.

MacJournalism Sports Team

Davis Roe was 2-for-3 and Cole Ross was 2-for-5, and each drove in two runs, as the Knights defeated Austin High in extra innings Tuesday night, 7-2, at Burger Baseball Stadium. The win completed a two-game sweep for McCallum that has put them back on track to control its destiny in the race for a 10th consecutive district title.

Over the two-game series with Austin High, senior Cole Ross had five hits, drove in three innings as a hitter and got the final out to complete the sweep as a pitcher. Photo by Gregory James.

McCallum broke up a tie game with a five-run top of the eighth inning. Reace Lane opened the extra inning with a double, and Trinidad De La Garza had an RBI single later in the inning. In between, the Maroons helped the Knight cause out with a hit batsman, three walks and a balk.

The crazy inning obscured two strong pitching performances: one by Eric Worden who pitched 7 2/3 innings and struck out nine after pitching 2 1/3 innings in the Knights’ win over the Maroons the night before, the other by Maroon starter Victor Mendoza who struck out six over seven strong innings. Ross came on to retire the final batter to end the game for the Knights.

The win completed a two-game sweep of the Maroons. In the Knights’ 8-2 victory Monday night at Northwest Park, starter Mason Bryant struck out 11 Maroons and drove in three runs, and Cole Ross went 3-for-4 with an RBI as the varsity Knights produced 10 hits.

Koehler Vandament and Alex Baylor each scored a pair of runs, and Dela Garza drove in two runs with a double. Lane tripled in the game. Eric Worden got the final seven outs in relief.

The two-game sweep is hugely important in the Knights’ chase to extend its district title streak. With the sweep of Austin High, the Knights (2-1) keep their title prospects in their own control. The rematch with LBJ, which beat McCallum 3-2 on March 6 to open district play, looms large on the horizon.

The Knights face Travis in a two-game series next week. Game 1 is next 5 p.m. Tuesday at Burger Baseball Stadium. Game 2 is 7 p.m. Friday at Northwest Park.

Photos and reporting by Gregory James

1 Comment

One Response to “Varsity earns crucial spring-break sweep of SFA”

1. Wyeth Purkiss on March 26th, 2018 2:22 pm

This had the solid statistics, and the importance of their games, however interviews with the coach or players I would have enjoyed about their success and how they are going to attack, and game plan for the following matches. The photographss were solid, but more details of the games would have been and made it a greater article. However it had great content and I really enjoyed the articles.

[Reply]

• Varsity earns crucial spring-break sweep of SFA

Sports

Running back

Sports

Gillespie caps off career as District MVP

Sports

Junior really cleans up

Sports

Cyclist Eli Husted on the road to recovery

Sports

Taking her shot

Sports

Leaving his mark

Sports

Looking back, ahead with Coach G

Sports

Freshman archer aims for nationals

Sports

Taylor steps down as head coach, Gammerdinger appointed as replacement

Sports

Coach G named head coach, AD