Knights cruise past Crockett to get to 8-0

Story by Gregory James

“IM ON TOP OF THE WORLD”: Senior Defensive End, J.B. Faught picked up a Crockett fumble in the second quarter to get the only defensive touchdown of the game, and the second game in a row that the defense has scored a touchdown. Last week, Jack Switzer recovered a Travis fumble in the end zone. Photo by Gregory James.

The varsity football team won its eighth straight game on Friday night by shutting out the Crockett Cougars 55-0 at House Park.

The Knights, who are ranked No. 21 in the state on Dave Campbell’s 5A Texas Football rankings, are 4-0 in district and 8-0 overall.

The team’s run has been fueled by a strong rushing offense and an opportunistic defense that has made big plays when it needed to and has shut out its last two opponents.

Averaging 394.5 rushing yards per game, the Knights logged 426 more rushing yards versus Crockett on Friday. Max Perez ran for 116 yards and three touchdowns and passed for another 103 yards and a score. Alexander Julian led all Knight rushers with 117 yards and two touchdowns. Deron Gage ran for 92 yards and added another 39 yards as a pass receiver.

The Knights led the Cougars 7-0  after Perez ran 16 yards for a touchdown, and Ian Carson converted the extra point. Later in the first quarter, Perez found the end zone as a rusher for the second time, and before the first quarter ended, a 30-yard Perez-to-Gage pass play set up Julian for a short TD run.  

Heading into the second quarter, Mac led, 20-0. The Knights added four touchdowns in the second quarter. Gage ran 78 yards down the Knight sideline for the first score of the quarter, then JB Faught returned a fumble 18 yards for a defensive touchdown. Julian then added his second touchdown run.

CRUISIN’: Max Perez runs the ball for his second touchdown of the game against Crockett. The Knights defeated the Cougars, 55-0. The Knights’ next game is against the Lanier Vikings on Friday Nov. 3. Photo by Gregory James.

The quarter closed with 25-yard strike from Perez to Davis Roe who caught the ball and tip toed to the corner of the end zone for a 48-0 halftime score. It was a good night for Roe who before the game was named the Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Athlete of the Week.

The first unit made one more appearance to start the third quarter, making a statement touchdown on Perez’s 59-yard run, his third rushing score of the game.

That was the end of the scoring for both teams as the Knights ran out the clock, and looked ahead to a bye week this week then a challenge from the Lanier Vikings (2-5) on Friday Nov. 3 at House Park.

In his postgame comments, Coach Taylor urged the team to continue improving each week, starting with the upcoming week of practice.