Lynch, Kershner, Baylor place in 4 events

[masterslider id=”23″]

Photos by Audrey Sayer and Bodhi Tripathi.

Versatile trio leads teams to 6th-place finishes at AISD Invitational

Sophomore Alex Lynch stands at the awards podium after winning first place in 5A in the 100-yard breaststroke. In racing against all 6A swimmers in the fastest heat in his event, Lynch posted his fastest time so far this season. Photo by Bodhi Tripathi.

Alex Lynch placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke and fourth in the 200-yard individual medley on Friday leading the Mac swim team to a sixth place finish among 5A schools at the AISD Invitational at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swim Center.

In order to earn points for their team, swimmers must place in the top eight places in an individual or a team relay event. The boys and girls team both placed sixth among 5A schools with 38 and 28 points respectively. The combined total of 66 points was also good enough for an overall sixth-place finish.

Lynch, sophomore Cole Kershner and freshman Madi Baylor each posted points for the team in four different events at the meet.

Kershner placed in the top eight in the 200-yard individual medley (seventh) and the 100-yard backstroke (eighth).

Baylor took sixth place in the girls 200-yard freestyle and seventh in the 100-yard backstroke.

Each of the three swimmers also swam on two relay teams that placed in the top eight.

Kershner and Lynch teamed up with Andrew Lewis and Ivan Zaplatar to take fifth place in both the  200-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay. McCallum also placed in the top eight in the boys 200-yard freestyle relay anchored by Ivan’s brother Izak Zaplatar preceded by swimmers Jack Hester, Marco Emami and Jordan Trimyer.

“What was so cool about this [relay],” Coach Jeff Rudy said, “was they were actually our ‘B’ relay, but swam in place of the ‘A’ relay and still finished in the top eight.”

Freshman Madi Baylor led the girls team placing in two individual events and two relays. She placed individually in the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke. Photo by Audrey Sayer.

Baylor was also on two top-8 relay teams. She swam with Molly and Ellie Blankenship and Bianca Ramirez on the 200-yard freestyle relay team that placed fourth and with Henna McCrae, Ellie Blankenship and Ramirez on the 200-yard medley relay team that placed sixth.

The girls relay team in the 400-yard freestyle featuring Molly Blankenhip, Ellen Fox, Claire Greenberg and Christina Ricci also placed sixth.

Lewis also posted points for the boys team by placing in the top eight in an individual event: the 100-yard butterfly.

Ellie Blankenship earned points on the girls side by placing in the top eight in the 100-yard butterfly.

Lynch earned first place by swimming the fastest time at the meet for all 5A swimmers, but he did not swim against any of his 5A competitors in his heat. He was seeded in the fastest heat and swam against all 6A swimmers. There was only one other sophomore in the heat and no freshmen.

He said afterward that he was pleased that he posted his fastest time of the season: 1.03.72.

Sophomore Cole Kershner, shown here swimming in the 200-yard individual medley, earned points for the boys team in four races on Friday. In addition to placing in the top eight in this race, he placed in the 100-yard backstroke and as part of the 400-yard freestyle and 200-yard IM relay teams. Photo by Audrey Sayer.

“I was happy to have dropped from last weekend where I raced in a club meet,” he said.

Lynch still has a way to go to top his fastest time from last season (1:00.84), but this is only the second meet of the year.

“As you get farther and farther into swimming, the harder it becomes to drop [your time],” Lynch said.

He added that his long-term goal in the 100-yard breaststroke is to approach the 56.00 standard needed to qualify as a National Interscholastic Swimming Association All-American.

He admitted it would also be nice to break the minute mark because that is “a big time barrier in breaststroke.”

Cedar Park Vista Ridge won the 5A meet in all three categories scoring 133 team points in the boys meet and 156 points in the girls meet for an overall point total of 289.

McCallum Top Eight Finishes

Girls total – 28 points – sixth place in 5A

Fourth place – 10 points – 200-yard free style relay – Madi Baylor, Molly Blankenship, Ellie Blankenship, Bianca Ramirez (1:54.37).

Sixth place – 6 points – 200-yard medley relay – Bianca Ramirez, Henna McCrae, Ellie Blankenship, Madi Baylor (2:10.22).

Sixth place – 6 points – 400-yard freestyle relay – Molly Blankenship, Ellen Fox, Claire Greenberg, Christina Ricci (4:44.48).

Senior Molly Blankenship hugs sister junior Ellie Blankenship before Ellie raced in the 200-yard individual medley. Ellie placed individually in the top eight in the 100-yard butterfly. Both sisters swam on two relay teams that placed at the meet. Photo by Audrey Sayer.

Sixth place – 3 points – 200-yard freestyle – Madi Baylor (2:15.78).

Seventh place – 2 points – 100-yard backstroke – Madi Baylor (1:10.86).

Eighth place – 1 point – 100-yard butterfly – Ellie Blankenship (1:11.85).

Boys total – 38 points – sixth place in 5A

First place – 9 points – 100-yard breaststroke – Alex Lynch (1:03.72).

Fifth place – 8 points – 400-yard freestyle relay – Ivan Zaplatar, Andrew Lewis, Cole Kershner, Alex Lynch (3:41.37).

Fifth place – 8 points – 200-yard medley relay – Cole Kershner, Alex Lynch, Andrew Lewis, Ivan Zaplatar 1:52.46).

Fourth place – 5 points – 200-yard individual medley – Alex Lynch (2:08.32).

Seventh place – 4 points – 200-yard freestyle relay – Jack Hester, Marco Emami,  Jordan Trimyer, Izak Zaplatar 1:52.77).

Seventh place – 2 points – 200-yard individual medley – Cole Kershner (2:22.46).

Eighth place – 1 point – 100-yard backstroke – Cole Kerscher (1:02.24).

Eighth place – 1 point – 100-yard butterfly – Andrew Lewis (1:06.93).