McCallum competes in Bands of America

[masterslider id=”14″]

The McCallum marching band competed in the regional championship, Bands of America, on Sep. 23. The color guard toted flags bearing the Campbell soup can, as well as modeled vibrant, neon make-up; “artPOP” is McCallum’s show theme this year.

“What was it like?” freshman Nick Reedy said. “Extremely sweaty.”

Although many members of the band agreed that they got off to a rough start and although the heat and humidity may have been unpleasant, Reedy and his fellow musicians left the field pleased with their performance.

“I think that everyone showing up to rehearsal and trying hard is something that the band always does well and makes our concerts look and sound great.”

Band director Carol Nelson, described the performance as “strong”, even though they had to compensate for missing three trombone players. Junior John Forbes on the drum line also felt the band performed very well,

“Once the trombone choir came in, it was pretty much smooth sailing from there,” Forbes said.

Sophomore Daniela Aranda said that beyond the performance, the experience solidified the sense of community that she feels in the band.

“It’s just such a nice feeling when you look around and you see that everyone is together and it’s [all] teamwork,” Aranda said.  “It’s good to be a part of a group, and we embrace it.”

They played “On the Great Divide”, “Wild Nights”, and “Short Ride in a Fast Machine”, all by John Adams, and “Planetarium” by Justin Hurwitz.

After its performance, the band posed for a series of group pictures. After the serious pictures, the band broke out into funny poses for a final silly photo.

The band finished in the middle of the pack of 27 of the top marching bands in the region. The competition that was stocked with large and competitive 6A bands.

Before they found out how they had placed, the band directors had already declined eligibility for the finals out of consideration for their students’ time and well-being.

Photos by Kelsey Tasch and Bella Russo. Video by Sarah Tasch.

View Comments (1)